Monday, July 29, 2013

So wait. What IS a health coach?

So glad you asked! I'd never heard of it, either. In fact, most of the time when people ask me what I'm in school for, I get strange looks when I say "to be a health coach" - and this has nothing to do with my curvy figure.

A health coach is a coach. In my case, I want to help you figure out how to get unstuck so that you can get healthier. That simple. We start where you are, which is the only place you can start, really. We can talk about anything: how much water you use to cook rice, how to eat kohlrabi from your CSA, how to get over hating the taste of water. Yep, totally serious. No topic is too minor. Why? Because it's these little details where people get stuck. I went at least a month of not cooking at home before I realized it was just because I had no clean dishes. I did the dishes, re-organized, and then realized I didn't know how to cook vegetables. Baby steps. We'll go at your pace, and we'll figure out what you need. Need help in the kitchen? No problem! Want to take me grocery shopping with you? I'm in! Want to talk about how your partner won't ask you to get married? We can talk about that, too.

One of the major value systems I have thanks to IIN is that food is secondary to other stuff going on in your life. So we can focus on what we're going to call your 'primary foods': your relationships, your job (or lack thereof), your kids, your pets, your budget, your spirituality - whatever you want! These are all Important - so important, that I broke the rules of grammar to capitalize it for emphasis.

No comments:

Post a Comment